Black Rub Rails

Home Forums Other Boat Systems Black Rub Rails

This topic contains 5 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Henry Dennig 3 weeks, 4 days ago.

• Author

Norm Miller
    Participant

Ok GH owners, what have you found that does a good job cleaning the Black Rub Rails on your GH. Also what have you found that will turn the Black Rubber back to Black verses the oxidized looking black?

Norm
    Quiet Company

Henry Dennig
    Participant

Norm,
    We have used ArmourAll but it does not maintain the look for long.
    I know others have used Mineral Oil.

Chuck Truthan
    Participant

Cleaning the black rub rail is soooo looowwwww on our “to do” list, BUT, I have thought about it. We used to clean the boots on our Aztec aircraft with ammonia, rinse thoroughly (LOTS of black run off) and then seal it with clear floor wax. Held the shine for many months.
    Have not tried it on the rub rail though.

Raymond Mifsud
    Participant

Raymond Mifsud

Hi Norm We Use ” 303 ” Aerospace Protectant Called ” 303 ” . Its A Mild Cleaner But REAL Sun Blocking Product . Shake It During Application . When It Dries Itll Make Your Rub Rail Look Deep Black . We Use It On All The Rubber Vinyl And Plastic Parts Of ” SHELAMOND ” Our N-37 . Just Wash The Rub Rail With A Non Wax Removing Boat Wash Let It Dry And Apply The 303.
    I Never Use Armor ALL It Ruins Vinyl . If You Have Seen A Boat Seat Or Car dash All Dried And Split , I`ll Bet They Used A Lot Of Armor All . That Sticky Stuff You Feel When You Apply Armor All Is The Plasticizers Being Released . After A Few Years All The Plasticizers Are Gone Along With The Elasticity And It Cracks .

My Home Port Is Pebble Isle Marina On The TN River Come See Us.

Norm Miller
    Participant

Thanks for the reply! I have tried AP303 but it to did not seem to last real long. Was wondering if anyone has tried the Mother product Back to Black? I may try some on the stern (easy to get to) and see how it does over the winter when we are laid up.

Norm

Henry Dennig
    Participant

Norm,
    The boat cleaner here in Baltimore recommended Woody Wax. I am gonna try it.

Henry

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.