After Hurricane / TS Matthew check in

Hello fellow Great Harbour Trawler Association members,

As mentioned in the email sent to all members, I am hoping many in the community can update this page with their location and status.  If there are any boats that the rest of us can assist, please let us know.



10 thoughts on “After Hurricane / TS Matthew check in

  1. Ken Fickett responded by email the following –
    It is with some fair amount of sadness that I report the damage to Richard and Shannon Groene’s boat “Esmeralda”. Esmeralda was in her slip at the Conch House in St Augustine Florida when the storm struck. We traveled to St A after the storm with a small skiff and found Esmeralda aground approximately 400 yards from the marina. She was still tied to her floating dock along with another vessel tied to the other side of the dock. It was clear that she had taken a tremendous beating to her starboard side. A hole had been worn through the hull approximately 4 inches wide and four feet long, just inches above the water line. Water had penetrated the hull and completely covered engines, genset and electrical systems. The saloon appeared untouched but the galley, master stateroom and second stateroom appeared as though a bomb had gone off. The refrigerator was upside down on the floor with cabinetry and counter tops completely destroyed. The starboard galley portlight was completely missing with significant damage to the starboard hull and deck. The entire port side of the vessel was virtually untouched. The bowsprit was snapped of aft of the bow and dangling from chain and cable.

  2. Christina Sea had some rub rail damage and a few scratches from the dock being torn apart, but the pilings held and we stayed put. Because our slip at Cocoa Village Marina was destroyed, we are looking for a new marina to call home base.

  3. Southern Grace (N47) in Charleston SC came through with flying colors. We anchored her behind John’s Island in the Stono River about 14 miles from the coast (Folly Beach). Even there we recorded gusts to 66 knots. We left her on three anchors set at 120 degrees from each other each on 300+ feet of rode and all leading to a common storm swivel. On the top of the swivel we attached three 3/4″, 60′ double braided snubbers with heavy duty thimbles braided in. One was tied to the D-ring and the other two to the forward cleats. A lot of credit goes to the Taylor Made Storm Swivel and Mantus Chain hooks. Our boat was right where we left her and many others in the same area were not so lucky.

    • Michael,
      I would be very interested in learning more from your setup. What did you use for anchors? How did you set them before the storm? Were the rodes chain or rope?

      • Henry,
        As with most Great Harbours, we have a Rocna anchor (plow type) on our starboard side and a large Danforth on our port side. Each is on 500 feet of 3/8″ chain. I first set the Rocna on 400′ of chain into the wind. I then marked our position and set waypoints on our GPS 120 degrees port and starboard from our current direction. With our dinghy and Shelly on the windless controls, I ferried the Danforth out to the port waypoint on 350′ of chain. Then Shelly lowered our storm swivel to me with the three 60 foot snubbers already attached to the top. I secured the port and starboard chains to the bottom of the swivel with Mantus chain hooks. I then secured the third rode, a 3/4 inch, 300 foot double braided line with 20 feet of 3/8″ chain at the anchor (an aluminum Gardian) to the bottom of the swivel and ferried it out to the starboard side waypoint. Finally, I tied a fender to the top of the swivel and we lowered system down until the snubbers took the load.

        The varying lengths are so if one or all of the anchors drag and come together in a line, they will be less likely to foul one another. We were able to complete the operation in about 2 hours. Retrieving everything took more like 4 or 5 hours.

        I am not sure how to post photos here so I will send you an email with pictures of the swivel, etc. Please let me know if you have any other questions.

  4. YOUNG AMERICA is still tucked away in St. Pete at the Municipal Marina. GENESEE DAWN is also at the St. Pete Marina. Hugh and Sharissa Hazeltine, long time St. Pete Municipal Marina residents, continue living aboard BLUE SKIES.

  5. Seven Tenths is on the hard in Luka, MS getting some bottom paint. Then we will be headed south down the Tenn-Tombigbee on our way to Florida for the winter.

  6. Thankfully, Avocet is far from Matthew’s path. We have been in Peoria for a couple of weeks, indulging in lots of visits with family and friends. We are also assisting friends who are dealing with a medical emergency. We might – and I stress might, as things are fluid at the moment – need help to move their boat further south in the next week or two. I am thinking that a fellow GH owner could drive Avocet while we drive the other boat to somewhere on the Tenn-Tom. We would travel together so meals could be had on Avocet, avoiding the need to re-provision the other boat. Please email me privately at if you might possibly be in a position to help.

Leave a Reply