Yanmar Marine Gear KMA41 oil change interval

Home Forums Mechanical/Electrical Systems Yanmar Marine Gear KMA41 oil change interval

This topic contains 7 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Henry Dennig 3 weeks, 1 day ago.

• Author

John & Sally Savage
    Participant

Yanmar engine manual says change transmission oil at same 150 hour interval as the crankcase. Is this correct or a manual/translation issue? Transmissions don’t use any oil and its as clean and clear as new oil out of the can.

Joe Pica
    Participant

I try to change mine at the same time as the engines…depending upon length of time between changes, e.g. I always layup the engines with fresh clean oil. I change oil in drive engines now at 100ish hrs. as is so easy to do and all filters at the same time(not the bulkhead mounted primary racors until vac gauge shows increased vacuum. I like to check trans fluid appearance as well as drain plug insert magnet for metal indicators of impending failure. I can fit a small plastic bin under the drain plugs so it is easy to catch all the fluid rather than pumping it out via fill.

Chuck Truthan
      Participant

We change the engine oil at 250 hrs and do the transmission at the same time. The trany oil looks clean on the dipstick, but when you take an actual oil sample, it is anything but clear!
      We do oil analysis at every change of all fluids.

Chuck Truthan

Our Yanmar JH4 Series Operation Manual (P/N: 0AJH4–G00102) section titled Periodic Maintenance says to replace engine and marine gear lube oil (and filters) every 250 hours or one year, whichever comes first.

Dick
    Avocet, N37-08

John, what is the Yanmar reference number for the manual you have? I have been frustrated that Yanmar publications are not widely disseminated nor do they appear to be “standardized.” I suppose that is because our marine diesels are relatively small-volume derivatives of Yanmar industrial engines that go into dozens of different applications.

John & Sally Savage
    Participant

Dick: Colorado Cowboy Yanmar Manual No. is 499613-02780, appears to be pre July 1, 2002. Company name is listed as Yanmar Diesel Engine Co.Ltd. Manual has an added sticker stating company name changed to Yanmar Co., Ltd. as of 7/1/2002. I never found a source of the manual so I ended up scanning it for computer access.

John, I looked up your manual on BoatDiesel.com and it applies to 3JH3(B)E, 3JH3(C)E, 4JH3(B)E, 4JH3(C)E Yanmar Marine Diesel Engines. I trust that one of those is a match for your engines. I would suggest that you call Mastry Engine Center in St Pete, FL (1-800-545-4574) or contact Mack Boring in Union, NJ and ask them if the recommended 150-hour service interval has changed.

By the way, you might consider subscribing to BoatDiesel.com for access to all kinds of documentation. It’s also a good forum with occasional participation from factory (or factory-trained) people. If you’re not already “forumed-out,” that is. (smiley face)

Dick
    Avocet, N37-08

Henry Dennig
    Participant

I change my engines at 150 hours and transmissions every other engine change. The transmissions are more of a challenge as I pump the oil out thru the dipstick hole. I do send oil for analysis on the transmission cycle.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.