Spot Light

Home Forums Other Boat Systems Spot Light

This topic contains 5 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  hjhazeltine 4 months ago.

• Author

Chuck Truthan
    Participant

We are replacing our Second spot light, Jabsco ( ITTJ 146SL SEARCHLIGHT ) 175,000 Candella, $452 2 years ago, with a GoLight ( GOLI LED STRYKER W/HH REMOTE ) 320,000 Candella LED with hand held remote controller.
    The prior Jabsco lights broke when the mast fell forward striking the deck. The bulb casing broke and the light was dangling with no ability to repair the retaining ring that allowed the light to swivel up and down.

Also note worthy, is the port arm of the mast cracked at the weld. I’ve had to brace it to hopefully get me to somewhere that I can have it rewelded on.

My QUESTION for the forum is, given the deck glare from the spotlight mounted on the mast of our N37, what are your thoughts of adding a bracket on the forward bow rail at the pulpit and mount the light there?
    We’d lose the height and hence the distance, but we’d gain in reduced glare and hence in night vision retention.

Has anyone done this?

Joe Pica
    Participant

You will create light envy from me. It is the best place to mount this light foe best function. The deck glare from ours renders it difunctional and or very marginal help at night. Elecical power feed will be interesting. I imagine using the bow thruster bank to power it if 24 volt unit or tap into single 12 volt battery set. Feed could be fed up a stanchion from below after drilling out the solid base mounting plate fished thru the hand rail to the mount plate. What a fun and pragmatic project!

I haven’t done it but can see us wanting to do that someday. I once took our Jabsco spotlight completely apart because it wasn’t working only to find the problem was a loose wire in the switch at the helm. I think the light assembly is actually quite flimsy.

Is there a lesson to be learned from how the mast crashed to the deck?

FYI, the mast on our N37 is not equipped with a power winch, and it was a big challenge for the two of us to raise and lower it safely. I rigged some pulleys and lines and now it’s a one-person job.

Let me know if you are interested and I can send pictures by email.

Chuck Truthan
    Participant

Yes, train your crew on how to raise/lower the mast when you have a winch attached. They must “let go of the switch” at the FIRST indication that the mast is up (sight and sound). Otherwise they tear the winch cable (Kevlar) and when you go to lower it the next time, the remaining fragments of cable snap very quickly and the mast goes “BOOM” onto the deck! It also will happen if the restraining knot on the cable (inside the mast) gives way as per our first need to replace the spot light.
    I didn’t think to look closely or photograph the broken welds prior to lashing it back together. I will when we get someplace that can weld it. I suspect the weld was not the finest quality.

Henry Dennig
    Participant

Our boat did not have a winch to raise/lower the mast so I mounted one under the roof lip. The winch had/has steel wire on it, so that is what I used. After not being fast enough on the switch and the rear camara met the dinghy a little too quickly, I now have a safety line that stops the mast from going down too far.

With the winch, Debbie can raise/lower the mast quickly and easily.

As far as a spotlight, ours is mounted on the front edge of the pilot house roof. We seldom use it. I have a handheld spot that I plug into a plug at the helm, it is much easier to aim, turn on, find the marker, turn off quickly.

hjhazeltine
    Participant

I studied this problem during our refit. The Jabsco spot on top of the mast was difficult to aim where it was needed and too small of a light field and is a life limited product 5-7 years. I looked at several commercial grade lights ranging up to $7000.

It seemed like a lot of money for something you hardly use. We do not like to move the boat at night and the only time I enjoy it is when way off shore. But there are times when you are compelled to so a solution must be found.

For us, it was not one light but many. Rather than just try to illuminate one spot how about the whole field in front of you. During our refit we created what I call an eyebrow mast across the front of our Hardtop. On it we put 6 Rigid Industries LED Lights. The six lights together do not draw what the single Jabsco did before. 4 spotlights facing forward and a flood light port and starboard. Total cost for the lights about $1500.

We still have a hand held spot to look behind and the sides as needed.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.